Search This Blog

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kentucky Music Hall of Fame


6/21/09....
 ....
Today is a travel day and the destination is Bardstown, Kentucky for the famous Kentucky Music Week.  I awaken to a still air and a strange silence, except for the sound of the of the rushing Little River below the balcony.  The ceiling fan has ceased spinning, the air conditioner is no longer running, and the lights don’t respond to my flipping of switches.  This very comfortable hideaway has lost all of its power!  ....
         Walking up and down the street confirms that the power is out for the whole area.  I had planned to record more tunes for the demo cd “Another Jig Will Do” and soldier on, trying to do so in the early morning’s dim light, recording to my laptop on batter power.  After a couple of hours the power returns and the drama of the day is subsiding.....
         Today is a travel day, heading to Bardstown, Kentucky for my first visit to teach and perform at Kentucky Music Week.  In plotting my course, I decide to visit the Kentucky Music Hall of Fame in Renfro Valley.....
         While crossing the Tennessee River through Knoxville, I notice 4 very pasty-white fisherman sitting in the midst of the river wearing no hats beneath the mid-day sun.  I think they’ll rue that choice when later today they are lobster red!....
 ....
         The Kentucky Music Hall of Fame has some expected exhibits, but also harbors surprises.  Just inside the door is an exhibit dedicated to the state instrument of Kentucky:  The mountain dulcimer, represented here by examples from Homer Ledford and Warren May (of Berea, KY).  In addition to the exhibits dedicated to Crystal Gayle, Ricky Skaggs and Naomi Judd, I’m surprised to learn that Lionel Hampton and Boots Randolph are also native Kentuckians honored here!  Very nicely done—although I must admit to being wierded out by Naomi Judd’s dress and shoes from her final tour just standing there (sans Naomi!) in the display case.....

No comments:

Post a Comment