Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

"Folk Music Scared me!" (30-Dulcimer-Filled Years Spring Tour)

After observing the live music scene in Toronto, and hearing the witness of my Canadian colleagues, I love telling people "'folk' is not a 4-letter word in Canada!"

But for others it still is.  My friend, Dan Anderson-Little, put together a house concert at the marvelous home of some friends in the St. Louis area.  Dan and Linda's children, who were born while we were colleagues in Kansas City, are my godchildren and I always treasure the opportunity to visit and catch up with them, kick a soccer ball or shoot hoops, or let them kick my butt in some video games.

On this visit, however, they all came to the concert.  Daniel (the eldest) brought his high school sweetheart, Jacob rode with me to the venue and we had a great conversation about possible career paths for one who is very logical and loves to debate.  (any guesses?)  Leah also had a friend come.

The concert was attended by a nice variety of people who responded to Dan's list, the neighbors of the home-owners who hosted the concert, and from my St. Louis area contacts from both the church dulcimer worlds.  The venue is a marvelous home in Overland, Missouri, that was the retreat for some St. Louis luminaries at the turn of the 20th century, situated close to a lake.  Of course, I was so focused on getting set up and tuned up for the concert that I neglected to take any photos until is was all over!


(Not pictured is a 3-rank Hammond Organ that is off-camera to the Left--the host is an avid and accomplished organist!)

The concert was engaging and the audience enthusiastic, as I have experienced throughout this tour, but the defining moment of the night came when Dan and I were recapping the evening.

"As we were driving home, I asked Daniel's girlfriend what she thought of the concert, " Dan related.

"When Daniel first told me it was going to be a folk music concert, I was nervous and a bit scared, "  she admitted.  "But this was fun!"

And so it is!  Folk music (the music of the people) sounds scary to people, until they actually hear it!  Let's get busy folks, we've got a lot of music to share with a lot of people and there is always more music than time!

No comments:

Post a Comment