Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kicking off the First Leg of the Summer Tours


SATURDAY
Up early to leave at 6 am.  Unseasonably cold, windy and rainy all through Colorado today.  I stop for gas at Tomahawk, just east of Denver and the north wind is chilly.

At a pit stop in Limon, I have to dig my fleece out of my luggage and turn the car's temperature control to heat!

This tour begins and ends with long driving legs.  Today will be 10 hours long.

An audiobook by Kitty Kelly, The Last Star (about Elizabeth Taylor) plays on my tape player.  It is interesting to focus a bit on the famous life of someone whose life and loves has been on everyone’s lips throughout my rearing but about whom I’ve paid little attention.  

But the story ends abruptly.  Kind of like the author ran our of advance money and the publisher demanded a completed product, rather than reaching an appropriate end to the story!

The rain continues to spit as I drive across the long state of Kansas, but at times the clouds spread apart to reveal some blue sky.  The temperature is heating up as I travel east.

I arrive at Jim and Pam’s in Kansas City, thankfully, without incident.  Once again the moisture-rich atmosphere of this river town has produced a verdant and lush appearance of lawns and gardens.  They tell me about the deluge they’ve had, but which has passed over and moved east by now.  It is good to catch up with friends over a delicious meal, share music and stories.

SUNDAY

Today's shorter trip (4.5 hrs) means a nice leisurely breakfast with conversation before I cross Missouri to Hillsboro, southeast of St. Louis.  The granite bluffs greet me along I-70 and the rich, full-leafed trees provide shade from the bright sunlight as I travel and winding rural route the last hour of the trip.

My destination  Bev & Roy Robbins, Jennie & Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment