Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Meeting Sam Rizzetta and Nick Blanton (finally!) New Salterios (APRIL 15, 2010)


Driving through Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia to Shepherdstown, home of Nick and Joanie Blanton. Nick built my new dulcimer and I’ve shipped it to him for the 5,000 mile check-up.  When I arrive, he and Sam Rizzetta are in the shop, “talking shop” as Joanie and Carrie Rizzetta say.  I step in and meet them both for the first time. 
 ....
            It is always a wondrous thing to meet people in person that one has befriended from a distance. I’ve known of both Sam and Nick for years, first from hearing Esther Kreek tell her stories of her friendship with them.  The initial “introduction” has been broadened by reading years of Sam’s “Technical Dulcimer” column in Dulcimer Player’s News, deepened by mey ever-growing appreciation for the tone of Sam’s instruments and playing one of his licensed-designs built by Ray and Sue Mooers of Dusty Strings for over 13 years. This data has appended by my own direct email and telephone contact with both he and Nick as I’ve purchased hammers and dulcimer. 
          
Nick adjusts my treble bridge to address a minor tuning issue I’ve struggled a bit with, shows off his newly-built Mexican-style salterios for Alejandra in Mexico.




The staggered treble bridges go with the "re-entrant" tuning of the bass bridge. (I get the principle, but I'm going to have to study on what that actually means!)
 ....
            We are called in for a delicious dinner of home-grown salad greens, Alaskan cod chowder and whole grain bread with goat cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment