Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Full Moon Special!

Did you know?

Tonight's will be a special Perigree full moon.

The moon will be the closest it ever is to the earth in its elliptical orbit and will appear 14% larger to viewers on earth.  The last time this happened was 1983 and it will be that long into the future until it happens again!  It will appear largest in the east around sunset.

Several years ago, a beautiful full moon coaxed me out to the back yard to gaze upwards with my children.  A treasured time then, with them both off to college, even a more treasured memory now.

That night's observation gave birth to a mountain dulcimer solo I named simply, Full Moon.  (click the link to listen)

I recorded it and later included it as part of the soundtrack commission for a marvelous video project, Serenade to the Canada Goose.

The tune was also included in the first compilation CD released by Dulcimer Players News later that year.

So, I'm getting ready:
I'm gonna heat some water, drink some hot chocolate.

I can't wait to see what tonight's full moon special will bring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment