Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

On to Nashville!

(Indiana, that is!)

Very satisfying concert last night at Gloria Dei Chapel at Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus.  The room is wonderful sonic space and I was able to play all the instruments ("but you forgot the shiny one!" many people complained.)  True, I was having so much fun with hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimers, ban-jammer, guitar and didjeridoo that I completely forgot to play my dulci-bro, which just sat there looking cool.  Can't leave it out any more!

The audience was a cross-section of several "lives" I've lived:  retired professors from when I was a student there; current professors and students; dulcimer friends from Bellefountain; family and their friends; Joe Eulberg, a shirt-tail relative with whom I've corresponded on the internet, but whom I hadn't yet met--he brought his wife and teen-aged daughter who enjoyed the show.  Pemberville (home-town) connections:  Rhoda and the mother of one of the 3 people whose guitar playing finally set the hook during a confirmation retreat in 1973 right after Jim Croce's death--after that time at Tecumseh Woods in Michigan I HAD to play guitar.

"I Said Nothing" was the emotional center of the second set, in which I described the experience of visiting Sachsenhausen Concentration camp outside of Berlin, Germany and singing Martin Niemöller's words at his church and several others in March 2006 during concerts there.

Some lime-cardamom sorbet/wildberry-lavender ice cream afterwards on the patio at Jenni's across the street with Hank and Shirla was a very satisfying finish to a very rich musical evening!

Now, I've found an Office Depot where I can make copies of pages for my new book, "Another Jig Will Do" and I'm wending my way to Nashville, Indiana for workshops tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment