Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

Dulcimer reunion!


6/19/09....
 ....
Traveling through the verdant Midwest in its most fertile season is always awe-inspiring.  Brown County, Indiana is reputed to be a gorgeous, green locale and I can now bear the witness to confirm it!  ....
 ....
I taught a Master Class and led an advanced mountain dulcimer workshop in Blues and Jazz music at theWeedpatch Music Co. (thanks to host Kara Barnard)http://www.karabarnard.com/.  Then I got to stay in a gen-u-ine log cabin (well, technically, I was in the addition behind it) but the cabin itself is native to Brown county and had been moved to this spot in the early 20thcentury.....
 ....
Then off to Townsend, Tennessee at the gateway to the Smoky Mountains, driving through the beauty of central Kentucky.  Through Louisville, the river town where my father and raised through junior high school.  Then Lexington and south through Knoxville.  Thankfully the construction of last summer is completed and navigating that city was slick.  ....
 ....
Sadly, just as I arrived in Townsend, my wife called to let me know that her uncle, a dear gentle man, had died after an illness in his life-long home of Richmond, VA.  I’m closer than I would be in Colorado, but still not close enough!  ....
 ....
Terry Lewis (of Cumberland Gap dulcimer festival fame!) drove into the parking lot at the Clemmer’s Wood-N-Strings Dulcimer Shop just behind me…and in less than an hour, Bill Taylor (Gatlinburg), showed up, en route to snagging another Cullowhee instructor at the Knoxville airport; and while we were chatting, Stephen Siefert pops out of the next truck to park in the lot!  It was like mountain dulcimer old home week to the delight of all of us!  

Sadly, only time to talk, no time to pick tunes together, but catching up with friends and colleagues is also a treasure!....

No comments:

Post a Comment